Tuesday 15 January 2013

Questions and information freefall

At 6am my day begins. A question whizzes past one ear. An apparently unconnected piece of information settles on my nose. On a good day I may receive a joke. Sometimes an accusation is fired from the bedroom door, if the day is going to be a little more challenging. All this before my morning cup of tea!
I used to imagine sleeping with a pair of running shoes beside the bed. Then I could emerge fully dressed from under the duvet, slip into my footwear and sprint into the day. I would be forever one step ahead of the questions.

We've tried different strategies for rounding up those questions. A jar on the breakfast table where the questions have to wait, sealed under the lid until an appropriate gap in the morning routine - if there is one! A huge piece of paper on the downstairs cupboard door, embellished with a large question mark, inviting the asker to write the questions down! Neat little notebooks for questions for teachers!
Then the day settles and a cup of tea is just a cup of tea. Silence is golden and mindfulness is so much easier to practise...in an empty house!
But the great thing is that when my memory space has all run out and we need the answer to a factual question we have a family member who can recall information, answers to questions and amazing trivia to astound the general public.
So, I'm going to gather up my quiet moments, my uninterrupted cups of tea and head for the duvet. The questions will still be waiting but I'll be ready to emerge and look for a new strategy to harness them and pot them up for the necessary days. Any ideas? Any answers for sorting out those questions? Please do let me know!
Best wishes
Hazel Reeves

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. All comments on this blog are moderated.