Wednesday 10 April 2013

Rewards

The other day I was driving along the road and I was delighted to see that I had received a smiley face from a traffic calming monitor beside the road. I was getting it right, I was driving at the correct speed. I felt strangely satisfied, such is the power of a positive reward.
My daughter still likes to collect smiley face stickers on a reward chart. We've been using sticker charts on and off for years. She said that she loves the rewards she gets when the chart is full. We all like to be rewarded. It doesn't matter how old you are, it works.
I received copies of my new Roar books recently. My oldest daughter said: "Mum, I'm so proud of you!" I felt warm from the inside out, at receiving such heartfelt praise.
Smiley faces, a cup of tea and special chocolate biscuit, a word of praise from family and friends, a kind word, a squishy hug, fill you up, lift you up and tell you that you're getting it right. Small rewards make a big difference. We walk a little taller and often find ourselves passing on the praise, the smile, the hug.








Best wishes
Hazel Reeves
www.roar-littledinosaur.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. All comments on this blog are moderated.