Thursday 2 May 2013

Beach Prayers

I was walking along the beach yesterday. The long awaited spring sunshine warmed my face.The familiar sea breeze had lost its harsh winter edge and I felt privileged to be alone with my dog in such peaceful surroundings. I've walked this beach many times over the past decade. Sometimes harmoniously, frequently in despair. My cries of inadequacy competing with the crashing waves and icy winds. I have always returned a little lighter and somehow more able to deal with my daughter's autism. This isn't magic but an age old wisdom that let's my spirit cry out, be heard and the ancient mystery of prayer bring about a change in my daily situation.

I think that many of my prayers went like this:

Prayer for Wisdom

I'm all out of ideas, words and inspiration,
This little person's got me running, sighing, inwardly crying,
I don't know what she needs or how to find out.

Take me to the right door, lead me through it,
Let me feel your presence, your breath, your wisdom,
I'm screaming out to you, holding out to you,
Help me carry on, give me a new way through.

Everywhere I go I'm meeting people who know someone living with or working with children with autism. Prayers for wisdom are going up each and every hour. The biggest answer to my initial prayer was to know that it wasn't my fault and that I wasn't alone. Maybe we can be an answer to someone else's prayers. Let them know that they are not alone and share the strategies that have worked in little ways at various stages of this long and difficult but surprisingly rewarding journey.




I'd love to hear about the little things that help you.
Please do post a comment!

Best wishes
Hazel Reeves
www.roar-littledinosaur.com


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. All comments on this blog are moderated.